"Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter." ~Francis Chan

Thursday, January 19, 2012

A slight pause in time.........


A few days ago, we had an ice/snowstorm at our house.  It was raining then it switched to snow.....making travel difficult.  It was one of those 'stay at home if you don't absolutely have to be out' days.  Schools all around us were closed (not that it mattered to us :)  I was sitting on the couch when I first got up doing my devotions and checking emails, blogs, FB, etc and told my hubby, "I could sit here with a cup of coffee all day and watch this snow".  It was absolutely beautiful.  I have very large windows that surround my living room/dining room/kitchen space and it was like we were living in a snow globe.

My hubby is currently laid off his regular job so he's been cutting wood for one of his friends, but since it was absolutely nasty working weather, he stayed home.  I love it when he's home.  The girls spent the day playing outside and we just had fun together.  At one point, he and I were just laying on our bed chatting and I could hear the girls in the living room laughing....'can't catch your breath' laughing.  I said, "I love this.  I love knowing that I menu planned, so we have all the food we need for our 'planned meals', none of us have to leave, we are all warm and snuggly, the kids aren't fighting, and we get some cuddle time".  I was at complete peace at that moment.  All in the world was right.  
Sure, the lay off doesn't give us all the money we need.  We have to make major spending changes.  Sure, the girls will fight.  Life will happen, trials will come and go.  But in that moment.....

my life was perfect.  


I have found myself  in astonishment of the beauty of God's handiwork lately.  I find myself just taking a deep breath and saying, "Thank you, God, for this wonderful __(fill in the blank)__.  Thank you for showing yourself to me today.  Thank you for helping me find the beauty in a sunrise, sunset, snowfall, little hands, laughing children, and adoring hubby, etc."  It is absolutely overwhelming how, even in the midst of financial trials, I can still feel amazingly blessed.
Being intentionally thankful can completely change your attitude towards life-in-general.  Pausing life for long enough to actually enjoy it, can be life changing.  Seeing the beauty in little things makes you realize that anyone that could make these little things so perfectly most certainly has the ability to sustain you and your life.  He most certainly possesses the strength and power to carry you when you need it.

"For God is not the author of confusion (instability, disorder, commotion, violent agitation or mind or feelings), but of peace (quietness, rest, oneness with God)......" ~ 1 Cor. 14:33


"Always be full of joy in the Lord; I say it again, rejoice!  Let everyone see that you are unselfish and considerate in all you do.  Remember that the Lord is coming soon.  Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything; tell God your needs and don't forget to thank him for his answers.  If you do this you will experience God's peace, which is far more wonderful than the human can understand.  His peace will keep your thoughts and your hearts quiet and at rest as you trust in Christ Jesus."   ~ Philippians 4:4-7

"He will keep in perfect peace all those who trust in Him, whose thoughts often turn to the Lord!"
~Isaiah 26:3


What makes you pause, take a deep breath, and say a prayer of thankfulness for all you have been given?


Linked to Good Morning Girls~Women in the Word Wednesdays 

7 comments:

  1. This was a beautiful post! And I'm very jealous of your snow;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently read Mary Beth Chapman's book "Choosing to SEE" and it has really made me more aware of making the choice to see God in everything, even in life's difficult times. This was a beautiful post. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is on my 'reading list'....can't wait to read it. Sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally amazing. Fair warning, it will emotionally wreck you. I had to put it down and bawl like three times!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the warning......is it sick that it makes me want to read it more??? I just read about it and it sounded really good. I'm gonna have to move it up my list, now......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh it is SO good! She really paints a very detailed picture of the reality of their life and what things were like after they lost their daughter. Beautiful and tragic and ultimately all to the glory of God.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this...thank you for sharing..

    ReplyDelete

Recent Visitors

Challenging the status quo of modern youth ministry

Challenging the status quo of modern youth ministry
Watch it here for FREE!

Comment on my blog and receive a backlink on your blog!